Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Jars, Jars and more Jars ~ #Reuse #Upcycle #DIY

Since we've become more conscious of the things we purchase, we are purchasing a lot less.
Which is a good thing. But, some items we are purchasing a lot more of.

One of those items is Glass Jars.



Yes, I can probably guess what you are thinking. In my previous Zero Waste posts I've mentioned we will choose Glass Jars (and or Card preferably recycled card) because they are the better option when purchasing Food/Drink
(please note we don't leave near a bulk store.) 
Yes they can be recycled. Glass is the best material that can be recycled, It can be recycled over and over again. But like I've said before, Recycling is always the last option.

Since we have reduced our waste, we are noticing more of what we do dispose of, and we seem to be inundated with glass jars.

We can end up with at least 3 or 4 empty jars a week ~ That might not sound a lot. But, 12 or 16 a month or 156 or 208 glass jars a year is a lot just for the two of us.

So I've been trying to think of away I can Reuse some of these Jars. 


Obviously you can reuse them to store food again 

Garlic and Sesame Seeds stored in glass jars


or to store your Homemade All Purpose Cleaner (Blog post HERE)



I like to bring the outdoors in. So I thought of using them for a plant pots.

In my first Mending, Recycling and Upcycling DIY post HERE

I shared my little plant pots I made from a used Jar.


Since that post, the plants have thrived (please remember to put stones/pebbles at the bottom of the jar for drainage)


Anybody who owns Spider plants knows you can end up with so many.

I'm guessing you know where this is going ;)

I need more plant pots for my spider plants. Instead of purchasing some new pots. I again used my empty jars and upcycled them.

This time I had some Glass paint. My mum got me a set of glass paints a while ago.

I spent an afternoon in crafters heaven :)

I didn't have a plan I just went with it and this is how they turned out.





Instead of using pebbles/stones to put at the bottom for drainage like last time. My mum had some clear stones she no longer wanted.
Because I didn't paint all the way to the bottom of the jar. I think the stones go really well.


The other two are waiting for the spider plants to grow a little bigger :)



At the moment I think I'm on top of the spider plants. So I don't think I need anymore plant pots.

These clear jars are perfect to upcycle because you can decorate them however you please. You can use them to not only store food again but hold Toothbrushes and or Razors in your bathroom, Make up brushes,  Art and craft equipment. The taller jars are great to hold Kitchen Utensils.



Or you can make them into a little light (if you use glass paint).

By using a set of Fairy lights (left jar) or Tea Candle/Light (right jar)




They might not look "perfect" but they definitely look homemade and unique :) and that's the look I was going for.

I really enjoy trying to upcycle as much as I can. Aiming for a zero waste lifestyle has really increased my love of crafting. I know some of you might be thinking that Yes, some of this stuff can be Recycled. But we need to remember that Recycling should be considered as the last resort. Yes, Recycling uses less energy/waste than New but Reuse/Repurpose uses a lot less energy/waste than Recycling.  The best options are always to mend and upcycle.  Plus saving anything from going to Landfill is a must.

I hope I have given you ideas on what you can save/rescue. Not only are we doing our little bit to save the planet with these little things. But, we are also saving money which is great.

Have you made your own Vases/Plant pots? Have you ever upcycled a glass jar? Let me know in the comments below. I would love to know :)

Till next time

Donna x

Like this post? You might like to read: Trash

3 comments:

  1. Love your ideas with glass jars! I have been using mine mostly for food storage because I don't have that many; I use the small ones for bathroom products like lotion or deodorant. I have been starting to use tin cans as extra planters; just punch some holes in the bottom and plant your stuff. I also was gifted some grapeseed oil last year in a beautiful tall glass; I've cleaned it out and will use as a vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm thinking of using tin cans for my little herb garden. There are so many beautiful, detailed glass jars/bottles around I never really noticed before, It seems a waste to not reuse them :)

      Delete
  2. I love how you recycle your glass jars and use them for storing food and your Homemade All Purpose Cleaner. I’m also a fan of recycling some stuff around the house. I recycle my glass jars as vases. And I love how they make my space look decent. I do not have lots of them, but the few I have are very helpful.

    Dennis Barton @ Chand's Disposal

    ReplyDelete