Monday, 3 October 2016

How does your Garden Grow ~ 2016



In 2014 I did my first "How does your garden grow" post. So I thought it was a good time to do another one. I don't know why I didn't do a post last year. I didn't grow anything at my home, and if I remember correctly the tomatoes and salad leaves (from my first post) didn't grow :( I only ended up with some Cress. Good old Cress, that stuff grows anywhere.


But, my parents still grew a lot of food. Last year we had some of their Onions, Green Beans and Lettuce. And again they had so much leftover. Which I hate seeing, but the dogs LOVED it :).

Now that I'm more focused on living (aiming for) a Zero waste Lifestyle and my diet is plant based, this year I put in my order ;) They wont be having any leftovers this year especially now that I'm making a lot of my food from scratch. I will get to use a lot of it.

This year we had:






We made a lot of Tomato Sauces with these tomatoes




If your not lucky enough to have your own out door space or know anyone who does, you can grow your own indoors. All you need is a window that has direct sunlight. And something to grow them in.



My little set up at home.

Cress in a tea cup, and I planted tomato seeds and a few salad leaves again in an old Egg carton. ( my little reuse :) )
I planted these at the end of March.



The Cress grew



The tomato seeds sadly didn't grow :(
But. I did plant a few tomatoes and they grew.

Yep you read that correctly I planted a few tomatoes. We had two that went a bit squishy and one started to go mouldy so I sliced them and put them in a pot with some compost and they grew!. Boy did they grow :)


They grew so much, we ended up giving them to my parents to grow in the garden. They over took our window sill.


The Tomatoes now look like this in my parents garden (September 2016)



This  is just half of them. From two tomatoes!! Because its getting quite late in the year and they haven't turned red (yet). We might have to make chutney with these :).

We also tried growing onions from scraps and we had a go at growing a pineapple. Yep a pineapple.. But nothing happened with them. I will keep trying with the onions.

You can grow so much from scraps here is a website I found 25 Foods You Can Re-Grow Yourself from Kitchen Scraps

We might try a few other things like celery and lettuce, I will keep you posted :)

I love gardening, I believe the quote '(S)He who plants a Garden Plants Happiness' to be true. It is so rewarding and satisfying, looking after and watching your garden grow.

Especially if the out come is Natural, Organic, Fresh, Zero Waste, Free food.

Oh and one more thing:

LOL :) I wish this was true :)


How does your Garden Grow? or Your Window Sill :)

Till next time

Donna x

Like this post? You might like to read: How does your Garden Grow Part 1
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment