Tuesday, 28 February 2017

A year aiming for a Zero Waste Lifestyle Part 4



If you have read parts 1 , 2 and 3 you can see how much we have improved our lives. I couldn't imagine at the beginning our lives would change so much in only 12 months.

At the beginning I thought it would take a while to find food unpackaged or at least not in plastic. I thought it would cost so much and we would end up quitting.

We haven't been ''perfect'', and it hasn't always been easy. There were a few times when we had some food that was in single use plastic. And yes I felt really guilty, but sometimes there isn't a choice :(. Being Gluten Intolerant, the food has to be in some sort of packaging so it doesn't get contaminated. Sadly most of the packaging is in plastic :(.



Trying to put the message across to family and friends about the plastic pollution hasn't been easy. Knowing what I know about it, I'm shocked at how people are just so desensitised when it comes to packaging :( I have lost count the amount of times someone as said to me (who knows I don't like to use single use plastic), ''Have I tried this or have I got this product''. And I say "No" and they say ''Why? I think you will like it'' and I look at the product, it's made from plastic and or its covered in Plastic and most of the time at least 3 types of packaging covering one little product!!!! Or Worse. " I know you don't like to purchase plastic, BUT give me the money and I will purchase it for you" ?!?!?!?!? Yep I have had that said to me a few times. I Don't think people understand it doesn't work like that.

YOU VOTE WITH YOUR MONEY

I am not forcing anything on others. I want to put that out there. I'm sharing with people what I am doing and how I choose to live my life. I will just share with them why I'm not purchasing the items, and if they take any of that in and choose to take it on board then that's awesome.

YOUR CHOICE IS YOUR VOICE.
 
If you continue purchasing, you are saying to the retailer that I like this, give me more.  If you stop, you're telling them that you no longer want more of this, and they'll need to change to keep your custom.  Remember that you do have the power to make a change.  Be the change that you want to see.


Looking back on my post 'My views on Zero Waste lifestyle' (post HERE) my views haven't really changed. I still believe the term ''Zero Waste'' is a goal to aim for. I believe you can't go completely zero waste unless you go completely off grid. But we can all do something to aim towards it.

I'm really happy and quite proud of both of us, with doing the best we can with the "R's"


We have both tried our best to eliminate as much as we can to reduce what we send to landfill by refusing, reusing and upcycling as much as we possibly can.

We are not perfect, there are quite a few things we can improve on. We are still learning. It would be a lot easier if we had the option of shopping at a bulk store. And if I wasn't Gluten Intolerant.

We are doing our best to be part of the solution, not the problem.

We all vote and can make a huge difference with our choices.


This year we hope to improve and consume even less plastic, and simplify / minimalise our lives even more. Last year was just the start.

I will still share my/our journey here on my little space on the internet. I hope to inspire and motivate anyone to live a more sustainable, eco friendly lifestyle.

We can all make a difference. It doesn't have to be zero waste, but just reducing your waste is great way to start.

Till next time

Live Green

Donna x

Like this post? You might like to read: Trash and or
My Journey towards a Zero Waste Lifestyle


No comments:

Post a Comment