Wednesday, 24 May 2017

What do you eat? ~ Food Diary



If you don't follow me on my other social media accounts, you wont know that I decided to share 'What I eat in a day' for one week.

I decided to do this because I get asked all the time "So...What do you eat?" because I'm Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Palm Oil Free and Plant Based. So people think I'm left with....


I'm Gluten Free because I am Intolerant to Wheat and Gluten ~ Trust me if I could eat it I would.

Dairy Free because of all the research I have done (animal agriculture and environmental) Milk is for Baby cows (please do your own research on Dairy)

Palm Oil Free ~ I do my best to not consume this oil because I don't agree with it. I don't believe we should be burning down trees, destroying rain forests and killing thousands of animals for a very cheap oil that isn't even good for our bodies. Sadly a lot of Gluten Free products and surprisingly vegan products contain Palm Oil.

Plant based because I can't say vegan, because Quorn Gluten free products contain egg. That is the only Animal product I eat. Quorn vegan range is not Gluten Free. If I wasn't gluten intolerant it would be so much easier to be a vegan.
I haven't always been a Vegetarian/ Vegan, Its been a gradual process since 2013 of gradually cutting back on Dairy, then meat products, then animal products.

I also don't add salt to my cooking. I might rarely add Garlic salt to my homemade crisps and chips. 

I have said before, when I first became Gluten intolerant. It did take time to find what I can eat and luckily over the past few years the Free From and vegan ranges have increased. But like I mentioned above you have to pay attention to what oil they use.

Since I shared my latest 'Before and Latest Fitness' update picture
The What do you eat? has increased. 
In my previous post here about my fitness journey I mentioned I was ill last year due to not eating enough! I have mentioned that a lot, its always been a problem of mine. But since then I have made the conscious effort to not miss meals. I have kept the Fat off and got myself back to a "healthy weight".  I've put "" because a Healthy weight differs from person to person and I don't weigh myself anymore. I can't tell you how much weight I have lost. I go by how I look and feel. That number is just a number. I don't count calories or weigh my food. I listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry.

So... I should stop rambling and show you what I eat in a week. It does vary, and its not the same thing week in week out. I'm sharing my main bulk of food I eat. Please check out my other Food Diary posts for recipes and other meal ideas.

Monday


Breakfast ~ Homemade Vegan Pizza (base) toppings ( tomato paste, garlic, sweetcorn, onion, mushrooms and Nutritional Yeast)
Mid-day Snack ~ Banana, coconut milk, Chia seeds and peanut butter Smoothie
Lunch ~ Homemade Bread with vegan 'Cheese' , lettuce and cucumber.
Snack ~ Tesco Free From Choc Ice

Dinner ~ Rice, Quorn 'steak' strips, mushrooms, carrot, broccoli and sesame seeds. (No Oil)
Drinks - 3 decaf Green Teas and 2 litres of water


Tuesday


Breakfast ~ Baked Beans, Hash Browns, mushrooms, Quorn 'Steak' strips & Avocado.
Mid-day Snack ~ Banana
Lunch ~ Homemade Vegan Pizza (base) toppings ( tomato paste, garlic, sweetcorn, onion, mushrooms and Nutritional Yeast) I always make two pizzas when I make my bread
Snack ~ Tesco Free From Choc Ice
Snack ~ Glass of pure Orange Juice (was a full glass I forgot to take a picture)
Dinner ~ Linda McCartney  x2 Veggie Red Onion & Rosemary Sausages with Lettuce, cucumber, beetroot and a bowl of skinny fries with chip seasoning
Drinks - 3 decaf Green Teas and 2 litres of water


Wednesday


Breakfast ~ Baked Beans, Hash Browns, Quorn 'Steak' strips & Avocado.
Mid-day Snack ~ Banana, coconut milk,  Chia Seeds & Peanut Butter
Lunch ~ Homemade Vegan Bread with Peanut Butter and Jam
Snack ~ Glass of pure Orange Juice
Dinner ~ Homemade Pea Soup with leftover Rice from Monday's dinner.  
Recipe for Pea soup is HERE
Drinks - 3 decaf Green Teas and 2 litres of water

Thursday


Breakfast ~ Baked Beans, Hash Browns, Quorn 'Chicken' pieces & Avocado.
Mid-day Snack ~ Banana, coconut milk, Porridge Oats Chia Seeds & Peanut Butter  

Lunch ~ Homemade Pea soup and Homemade Vegan Bread
Snack ~ Tesco Free From
 Choc Ice
Dinner ~ Homemade Pasta bake - Pasta and Bolognese sauce with spinach, Quorn mince, mushrooms, carrot, sweetcorn, courgette, broccoli and vegan 'cheese' 😊 
Drinks ~ 3 decaf Green Teas and 2 litres of water

Friday


Breakfast & Lunch ~ Homemade Pasta bake - Pasta and Bolognese sauce with spinach, Quorn mince, mushrooms, carrot, sweetcorn, courgette, broccoli and vegan 'cheese'
Snack ~ A glass of pure orange juice
Dinner ~ Grilled 'cheese' toasties 😊 Homemade vegan Bread and vegan 'cheese' and tomato ketchup
Drinks - 4 decaf Green Teas and 2 litres of water

Saturday


Breakfast ~ Hash browns, Baked Beans & Quorn 'chicken' pieces 😊
Snack ~ A glass of pure orange juice
Lunch ~ Homemade Pea Soup with Homemade vegan Bread
Snack ~ Homemade bread with Jam and Peanut Butter
Dinner ~ Jacket Potato with baked beans & vegan 'cheese'
Drinks - 2 decaf Green Teas and 2 litres of water


Sunday


Breakfast ~ Hash browns, Baked Beans , mushrooms and Quorn 'steak' strips.
Snack ~ A glass of pure orange juice
Snack ~ x2 Homemade Vegan Brownies (Recipe found HERE swap the honey for a vegan alternative)
Snack ~ Homemade Parsnip & Potato crisps (sprayed lightly with oil when cooking) (These were shared with my man).
Dinner ~ Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausage , Roasted Potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, courgette, onion, sweetcorn and broccoli.

Drinks - 4 decaf Green Teas and 2 litres of water



You might have noticed that I do make a lot of my food. Homemade Bread, Pizzas, Smoothies, Soups, Sauces and Snacks. I rarely purchase ready meals. It might not be convenient for some to make their own meals But trust me it is so worth it.

When I make my own meals I always make extra for the next day or two meals. I do make batches of Sauces and soups and Freeze them.
You save a lot of money and time. And the best thing, you are deciding what goes into your food. Your own meals will be healthier (depending on what and how you cook ;) ).
Pick one day a week to meal prep, my day is Sunday. We bake our snacks and bread and or pizzas. And during the week we make a meal or two with an extra portion or two. That way we don't spend every evening cooking.

I hope this post has inspired and motivated you to eat not only more plant based foods but healthier food overall.

Till next time

Donna x

Like this post? You might like to read: Leek and Potato Soup
 


No comments:

Post a Comment